Thursday, November 6, 2008

Book Idea to throw out there...

I've been applying for many a job lately. Some know this, some don't. But, from all of my insights gained from the Job Fair front and the job market front it appears that in this new digital age one of the departments of an organization that has typically been though of as a more hand-on people-centric divison has changed. The Human Resources Department. So, I thought about maybe writing a book on my thoughts.

The title would be:

"Go and Apply Online: Why HR has Taken a Turn towards Bits and Bytes"

Based on the title, what do you think this book would be about, and would you buy it if enough additional research was done?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because you have an electronic resume, you might as well make a job application on change.gov , you never know.

The Carsonator said...

Great idea! Thank you for the idea! As well as the link. I'd love to be able to make an impact (or Change) for the President-Elect! Thank you.

milena said...

Hi Carsonator, the title of your book would make me think I have a better chance finding a job online than in any other way. Could you elaborate a little bit on what made you think so? I was looking for a job exclusively online until about a month ago when I read a few articles stating that 80% of the jobs out there are gotten through networking, and some of the online job postings are not even real. Since then I've been discouraged to look for jobs online. What are your thoughts/experiences on this? Good luck with the job search!

The Carsonator said...

Great point Milena. Unfortunately, I've experienced the exact same thing. This experience is what has caused me to think of this book concept. Which is more of an expos'e on how HR has evolved from being people-centric to process-centric.

Also a reflection on how HR professionals can be putting themselves out of business by pushing everyone online. Instead of creating innovative ways to foster human interaction. Bits and Bytes (programs and applications and other means of computer interaction) will be the unfolding of a new generation of HR folks that don't interact with people.

Instead of by true measures of finding successful candidates. In-person interviews. So, yes, networking is absolutely the way to find yourself a position. This networking mantra has become "the way in" because of HR's transition into bits and bytes.

Great comment. I hope you've been able to find a position through networking. It sounds like you're as discouraged as I am in the online hiring process. But, I hope that we both find ourselves working and creating value to society soon!