Thursday, September 18, 2008

To Seaside and Beyond

Ok. As a disclaimer...these pictures were all taken on my iPhone. Additionally, I am not a professional photographer. If I were, would I use my iPhone?

This first picture is driving from Bend, Oregon along Route 20 towards Black Butte Ranch. You can see the 3 sisters. Yes, the sisters are mountains.

sisters mountains


This is a picture of much of the journey. Some of you viewers may not be familiar with highways in Oregon. Well, this is not really the NORM, but it is an average view of what you see along the highway in the western region of Oregon. Giant trees!!
highway 20 in Oregon


highway 20 in Oregon 2


These are pictures of Detroit Lake. Still driving from Bend to Seaside. However, this is along Highway 22.
detroit lake

detroit lake 2


And now we are entering yet another of the many tunnels that drive through the mountains in Oregon. OoooOOOO spooky, right?
spooky tunnel


In this picture my cousin and I are driving to the coast along Highway 26 and approaching Highway 101. For all those that love the show AxMen. This is what they do....I suppose I shouldn't say too much. My great uncle is in the logging business...but it is definitely hard on the eyes to see these great trees lying along the mountainside.
logging at its finest


Me climbing the Oregon Heritage tree and showing just how big this tree is...or was. I guess it was struck by lightning last fall. So, only about half of the tree is still standing.

heritage tree


climbing the tree


Brian chillin' at the tree



Welcome to Seaside! Pretty darn close to the mountains...yet right at the beach.

Seaside, Oregon

seaside sign


Ok...my cousin and I went to the room. Hit the beach for about 40 minutes. Trust me, the Pacific Ocean is not warm in Oregon. But the waves are good. So, after briefly checking out the beach...and the beach bunnies we drove over to Cannon Beach. It is a short 10 minute drive...and is where parts of The Goonies was filmed. This is a far-off picture of Haystack Rock.

Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach, Oregon


Haystack Rock at Cannon Beach - slightly closer



One of the best things about the West Coast and the Ocean is truly watching the sun set into the ocean. If you've never been to the West Coast....I recommend traveling there for a sunset. Unfortunately it was a little cloudy for sunset but this is it.

sunset at Cannon Beach



The next few pictures are a series of pictures of Haystack Rock under different lighting during the sunset.

Haystack Rock at Sunset 1


Haystack Rock at Sunset 2


Haystack Rock at Sunset 3


Cannon Beach at Sunset



After doing the sunset at Cannon Beach, Brian and I returned to Seaside. That evening we did all the regular things one does at a beach town. Played various games at the local arcades and went to the bars. Now the bar scene has a lot to be desired....you can ask me about that if you're interested in visiting the area.

But, the next day I wanted to get a few more pictures of Seaside. So, the next two pictures are of the beach and me chilling with Lewis and Clark. Can you imagine what Lewis and Clark thought as they finally came to the Pacific Ocean? Makes me want to be an adventurer and explorer out there discovering new things and places.

Where do you apply for that job??


Seaside Beach


Lewis, Clark, and I

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The coast’s most outstanding feature looms just offshore. Haystack Rock, a basalt pile that rises 235 feet, ranks as the world’s third-largest freestanding coastal monolith. Puffins, guillemots, oystercatchers, cormorants, and many other species nest on the rock and, with the help of binoculars, are easily visible from shore.

___________

adolfo
Internet marketing

The Carsonator said...

I apologize for not responding to this comment sooner....I promise it is due to being busy...rather than blog fade.

The great thing about Haystack Rock is the proximity to the coast. When in low tide you can actually walk out to Haystack Rock and look at all of the cool creatures stuck in the pools of water. No need for binoculars.