Sunday, July 6, 2008

Catching up on Blogs (SQL)

Some of you know (because I think I've mentioned it) that I'm the grader for a graduate level Database Design class. This summer term one of the students is a friend. So, I offered to help him. By help, I meant to explain what SQL is, how to use it...and make it understandable in everyday terms. Then help them determine a method of identifying what the professor is asking and how to find the solution. It is easy enough when you have a "process" or "methodology" to help drive your work.

IT stuff really does make sense if it is explained well enough. What I see most often is that IT people can't explain the concepts in everyday terminology to people. Or they don't want to. Which is dumb....but anyway.

Since I am the grader I feel bad when I see a ton of grades that are lower than 80%. I mean....this is Graduate School....they should be getting at least Bs in their classes (and I grade fairly leniently).

So, I have offered to be a tutor in the fall. I'm crossing my fingers that I can get this gig. It has been awhile since I've "gotten my hands dirty" with SQL but I think that a push in the right direction could help a lot of these students.

The structure of a database is really similar to an organizational structure. But--it does take time to sit and think about all the variables.

Anyway, enough of that. If you have any SQL questions...or database design questions please leave a comment. I'd be glad to help. Free of charge.

No comments: