Sunday, July 13, 2008

iPhone Apps

Ok. So, the stress of Friday updating is done. I do admit that I was probably too irate about not having access to my phone to really write logically about the likely issues that Apple may have had. If I think about all of the symptoms....downloading iTunes 7.7 and downloading iPhone 2.0 software Friday morning without any problems. It was solely the iPhone 2.0 installation process that was problematic.

Now, I'm not certain on how many phones have been sold over this past year--but I would guess around 1 million. Of course all the media hype about this new release is going to create a certain buzz about how great the new phone applications will be and how much value and productivity they will add to your life. So, a lot of people were ready to push the install button.

I'm guessing that there is a singular application warehoused on one server at Apple that transacts all of the registrations. Which is basically what we were all doing. Re-registering. So, this single application. This single server was getting hit by all of us....and it got overloaded.

Now, if this was a corporate client....I'm certain that there would be a seperate server....or a dedicated connection. This would likely be built into the Service Level Agreement. So, they wouldn't be affected. Or, I would hope so anyhow. Additionally, Apple has corporate account managers that would be communicating with the external corporations about any issues.

Ultimately, yea...I felt like my life was disrupted for a few hours and it was a huge hassle. But, I'm an individual customer. Not a large corporation. Yes--Apple cares about all us individual customers. But, we're already committed to the product.

So, I don't have any issues with Apple and the debacle that was iPhone Friday 2.0. Certainly they could have handled things differently. They could have made the "go-live" of downloading more exotic and allowed users to download at 8am in their location. Meaning New Yorkers could have downloaded at 8am EST and Californians at 8am PDT. But, they didn't. They could have created a parallel application processing server at a seperate site (like their Disaster Recovery site) and merged all of the transactions in the coming week or so. But, they didn't do that either.

We all fell to the desire to get the new application as soon as possible because we love the iPhone so much and wanted to see how the new software would make the product even better. Personally, I have noticed a few bugs already. Hopefully those will be fixed fairly quickly, but all in all I like my "new" iPhone very much!Do you have any issues?

No comments: